Sunday, July 20, 2008

Owen's Big Day

Today was a big day for Owen, and for Lane and me. Owen gave a talk in Primary today. At the beginning of the year, we asked that Owen not be asked to speak, or give scriptures in Primary. We did not feel he needed to be subjected to any ridicule that might come from it. Let’s face it, even kids at Church can be mean. But my requests were ignored. So the postcard came in the mail a couple of weeks ago with Owen’s name and the talk circled and my heart sank. I talked to Lane and prayed about it and we decided to let him try. Most kids get so nervous they don’t give their own talks anyway, so I figured what the heck, let’s go for it. I searched for something he could do. Our theme this month is Missionary Work. As I looked through “The Friend” there was a cute little activity with the song “I Hope They Call Me on a Mission.” My prayers were answered. It was perfect. We practiced and practiced. And he stood up there like the Champion he is and gave that talk. What a difference has come to him since working with Mrs. Kelly. Our Primary President was so impressed, the progress that has been made in the past few months in remarkable. All I wanted to do was cry I was so over joyed. It was so beautiful to hear. Yes, he had to have me model the words but you could understand what he said. That gives me such hope.
About a year ago, I longed to hear I love you from him. He learned the sign and one night as he went to be he turned around and yelled at Lane and me and flashed the sign that meant so much but I still wanted to hear the words from my sweet little boy. Three months ago I still longed to hear that sweet sentence from him. About a month ago, I was blessed to hear it for the first time. The words “Mom I love you” never sounded so beautiful. (Now he uses it to try to get out of trouble. But I am happy he does.) And now he stood in front of the whole Primary and spoke. Such amazing progress, such exciting new experiences are just waiting for him. All we have to do is work.

3 comments:

annilee said...

He did such a good job! Beautiful it was!! It made me want to cry also!!

Heather said...

Yay! Im glad it went well!!

barlows said...

K. I'm just getting caught up. This one made me cry! I'm so happy for Owen AND for you guys. You're such great parents.