Saturday, January 31, 2009

Make a Wish 5K

When I was a teenager, I ran a lot. If I got angry or worried or stressed, I would lace up my shoes and take off. Lane and I started walking at the first of the year and I enjoy it. I love being out with him, but it just isn't running. There is just something about being outside with yourself that is exhilarating to me. I can think. I can plan. I can focus on the run. I can escape into the music. I can see the beauty of the world. I enjoy it.
A couple of years ago, I made a goal to run a marathon before I am 35. Time is ticking away on this goal and it is a goal that only I have control over. It is up to me to train and achieve this goal. So I am doing it. I just started really training for it. Today my step mom, dad, my little half sister and I participated in the Make a Wish Run. It was just as I remembered. Although I was in a crowd of people, I was alone. I was there with myself and it was up to me to make it to the finish line. What a sense of accomplishment I felt as I rounded that last corner to run to the finish line. It nearly brought tears to my eyes to think I made it.
I have to thank my step mother Ginny for her encouragement. (and awesome running shoes) She was the one who signed me up for this one. And a great big thank you to my wonderful husband. Lane brought an mp3 home for me last night for my run today. That was so thoughtful and sweet. It feels amazing to hear the words "I'm so proud of you" from him. I'm pretty proud too.

2 comments:

Kris said...

YAY for you, Amy! I'm so proud of you too :). I personally hate to run, but am inspired by people that can train and run (and enjoy) those races.... That is fantastic that you're training for a marathon.. You can run one for me too, heehee! WAY TO GO :)

Melissa Brown said...

Way to go AMY! What an amazing accomplishment. I am proud too!!!