Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What Happened to the Fun?

I have been questioning what happened to letting our kids have fun in life. I am a pretty competitive person. I do know this. Hayden played coach pitch baseball this past season and I think I learned more that he did. At the beginning of the season I was right out there on the field yelling and correcting and redirecting him. It was a fight to get him to practices he hated going. His coach was amazing. So patient. And really was teaching them the fundamentals of the sport. At the first game, I sat there with the two very sweet mom's I had just met. One is very relaxed. Her son is a great player and loves the game. The seconds son is much like Hayden, really did not want to be there at the game. Just wanted to play with the other boys. I watched as the second mom from the bleachers corrected, yelled and redirected her son. And it hit me. THIS IS WHAT I LOOK LIKE !!!! Wow. If my parent acted like that I would have hated baseball too. So it took ALOT of effort but I stopped. I did approach Hayden if he started rough housing on the baseball field but other than that, I left it up to the coach. He started to love the game. He started practicing at home, he was ready for his games and practices. He had fun with it. I let him have fun and he loved it. Now it is talent show time at the elementary school. Liz is dancing with a few friends. And I have tried to take the "carefree non competitive have fun and do a good job" attitude with it. BUT the other moms are crazy with it. At Justice these would be considered one of the "Psycho Cheer Mom" types. They are all crazy about what the girls are wearing right down to the socks and how their hair will be done. For the record, any of you know, Lizzie's hair does NOT curl. And yet tomorrow morning she and I will be up at 6 am with the straight iron trying to curl her hair for a talent show that is held in their music class. Why can't moms just let the kids have fun instead of stressing them out because they might not be perfect. I have decided that I am going to just let me kids be the best they can be and if it isn't THE BEST, it's okay.

0 comments: